10.31.2012

Happy Halloween!

Pumpkin swirl brownies

I hope you have a fun-filled Halloween! When it comes to trick-or-treat, I'll always go with treat. If you're looking for a sweet treat to make, try these pumpkin swirl brownies from My Baking Addiction. I made them the other night, and they are so decadent and fudgy and packed with pumpkin flavor. Oh, and they're really easy too.

Simply mix up the pumpkin filling and then the brownie batter.


Spread three-fourths of the brownie batter in an 8-inch square pan lined with foil and sprayed with baking spray (I made a foil sling for mine to facilitate lifting the brownies out of the pan later).


Dollop the pumpkin filling over the brownie batter.


Spoon the remaining brownie batter on top.


Use a butter knife to swirl the two components together. Make sure to swirl in different directions.


Then bake. (I set the timer for 28 minutes, which ended up being just right. The recipe calls for 30 to 35 minutes.) Transfer the brownies to a rack to cool. (I left them in the pan for about 10 minutes and then lifted them out using the foil sling and let them cool completely.)


Spread ganache (heavy cream plus chocolate chips) over the baked brownies once they are cool. Cut them with a sharp knife, and wipe the knife off between cuts (if you don't want smeared ganache everywhere).


Dig in!

Pumpkin swirl brownies

I followed this recipe exactly, except that I used King Arthur All-Purpose Flour, and I simply threw 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon each ground ginger and nutmeg into the pumpkin filling instead of making homemade pumpkin pie spice (mostly because I didn't have any allspice or cloves). The brownies were nicely spiced.

If you're looking for other fun Halloween-themed treats to make, be sure to check out my Halloween board on Pinterest.

Happy Halloween!