10.12.2012

Guest Post: Italian Wedding Bubbly


My name is Lin, and I write for the Boston-based food and drink website, BeantownEats. I was very honored when Megan asked me if I'd be interested in doing a guest post while she's busy over the next few weeks doing some errands getting married! Judging by the amount of cooking and baking talent within the list of others writing, I decided to stick to something we do a lot of on our website: a drink recipe! When Megan said the theme was Italian, I immediately thought Aperol.

Aperol was introduced to Italy back in 1919 at the International Fair of Padua. Its bittersweet flavor is versatile: light enough on its own, perhaps with a simple twist of orange, combined with seltzer for a refreshing summer Aperol Spritz, or as a bitter agent in a cocktail. Its low alcohol content was used to encourage women in the 1930s to consume Aperol, and a trend I'd like to see make a comeback. [source]

Knowing Megan's affinity for prosecco, another Italian delight, I thought it would be fun to create a simple prosecco-based cocktail with Aperol. Thinking about a third ingredient to balance some of the Aperol's bitterness, I thought what better than another of Megan's favorites, St-Germain.


Megan's Wedding Bliss

Ingredients

  • 1/2 oz Aperol
  • 1/2 oz St-Germain
  • Prosecco

Pour Aperol and St-Germain into a champagne flute. Top with Prosecco. (Garnish with a lemon twist if you want to be fancy!) Doesn't get much easier than that!

Campari is another Italian apertif, and just was delicious and versatile as Aperol. The mouthfeel is a little but thicker, and I find that Campari lends itself more as a digestif. Two of my go-to cocktails involve Campari. The Negroni is an Italian classic gin-based cocktail served up (my preference) or on the rocks (Jon's preference). Although you might find variation in this recipe, the standard (and easiest to remember) is equal parts. My second go-to if I'm in the mood from brown liquor is the 1794. I really like how the rye is mellowed out by the Campari and vermouth, and I really enjoy a hint of vanilla with this drink, especially with Ryan and Wood rye.

Negroni

Ingredients

  • 1 oz gin (a dry fin like Beefeater works best, avoid floral American gins like Deaths Door for this drink)
  • 1 oz Campari
  • 1 oz sweet vermouth

Chill glass by filling with ice cubes and water. Use a cocktail glass if serving up, or an old-fashion glass if on the rocks.  In a mixing glass, combine all ingredients over ice and stir. Garnish with an orange peel.

1794

Ingredients

  • 2 oz Rye Whiskey
  • 1 oz Campari
  • 1 oz Sweet Vermouth

Combine all the ingredients into a shaker filled with iced and stir with a bar spoon. Strain into a chilled Manhattan glass or a rocks glass. Garnish with a lemon twist or an orange peel.

There you have it! A tribute glass of bubbly to toast Megan on her wedding day, and a few of my personal favorites that are easy to make at home and require few ingredients (they will also impress your guests). To Megan, I raise my glass and toast to long life of love and happiness, Cheers!