8.12.2010

Ruth Reichl's Blueberry Muffins


Did you know Ruth Reichl has a blog? I've been a little curious about what she would do after Gourmet folded, and I've found her blog an entertaining way to keep up with her post-Gourmet activities. She writes it very casually and shares dinners she's having or recipes she's made in a very approachable way. Sometimes she'll just snap and post an iPhone picture of what she's eating. I enjoy reading about who she's eating with, what she's having, and what she's doing with her life now in general. She's an inspiration to me -- and not that I thought she ever would -- but I'm happy she's not just fading away into the background.

Coincidentally, I bought a pint of blueberries at the farmers' market this past Saturday, not quite knowing what I would use them for, and then on Sunday, I came across a recipe for blueberry muffins on Ruth's blog. Her post begins, "I found the most beautiful blueberries at the farm stand today, and they just called out to me." I know just what she meant!


She then took the beautiful blueberries she found and baked them into blueberry muffins. These are the simplest blueberry muffins I have ever made, and I'm pretty sure they'll be the simplest blueberries muffins you've ever made, should you decide to give them a try. I'm going to send you over to Ruth's blog for the recipe, but all it involves is...

 stirring up some everyday ingredients and adding in blueberries... 


...mixing up a little streusel...


...and baking it all off.


It's the perfect recipe for a lazy morning. The muffins finished baking right when I was settling in with my morning coffee. I split one steamy, warm muffin, slathered it with butter, and took that first delectable bite. The flavor of the muffin is so simple, not at all overwhelming, that the blueberries really come through. I now have a favorite new blueberry muffin recipe for those days when I have a bunch of blueberries and a craving for a warm, buttery muffin! Thank you, Ruth.

What are your favorite simple recipes with blueberries?

Who inspires you in the food world?